APL Smokin ‘Wheels 2018 kicked off with a panel of supporters talking about their experiences and the legacy built from years of racing events.
Henry Simpson, founder of Smokin ‘Wheels, said it was hard to believe 40 years have passed since the first racing event, when the races were held along Cross Island Road and in Tumon.
Simpson said he developed this idea and then decided the island would be better served with a single location to showcase motorcycle races, off-road races, drag races and a Guam Grand Prix, Simpson said. .
âThe idea for the Guam International Raceway was born,â said Simpson. “This track is the highlight of all our years of hosting this race.”
It has been a natural connection to be associated with the Smokin ‘Wheels event, said Charlie Hermosa, Managing Director of American President Lines. He said he was proud and honored to support the event, as he has been doing since 1979.
âWe are doing what we can to make this event even bigger this year,â said Hermosa. “We invite the community to come and support the competitors.”
Friday April 13
- 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.: free practice for buggies, trucks and UTVs
- 1:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m .: ATV and motorbike practice
- 6 p.m .: Technical inspection of buggies, trucks and UTVs
- 7 p.m. to 11 p.m.: qualifying for the drag championship
Saturday April 14
- 8 a.m. to 11:25 a.m .: MX Heat 1, motocross and quads, mini-moto and mini-ATV enduro
- 9 a.m. to 6 p.m .: Autocross and go-art exhibition
- 11:30 am to 12 noon: Open practice 2, all-terrain buggies
- 12:30 p.m. to 3:45 p.m .: MX heat 2, motocross and quads, mini-motorcycle and mini-ATV enduro
- 4 p.m. to 4:30 p.m .: Official timed practice, buggies and all-terrain trucks
- 6 p.m. to 11 p.m .: Top Ride of Guam; 5 Star Smokin ‘Triple J Grills review
- 8:30 p.m. to 11 p.m .: Smokin ‘Wheels drag racing championships
Sunday April 15
- 8 a.m. to 10 a.m .: Semi-open MTB endurance race
- 9 a.m. to 2 p.m .: Strider Adventure Zone and Kids Corner
- 10:30 am to 12:30 pm: Open motorcycle endurance race
- 1 p.m. to 5 p.m .: ain Event: Buggies, trucks and four-hour all-terrain enduro UTV
- 1:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m .: RC exhibition
- 2 p.m. to 4 p.m .: Mud drags
- 5 p.m. to 8 p.m .: Drifting, Round 1, SÃ©rie Proline Drift
IF YOU ARE GOING TO
- Tickets for the event are $ 10 per day and $ 20 for a weekend pass, and are on sale at all Foody’s stores. Children under 11 are free. No food, drinks and coolers outside are allowed.
This article originally appeared on Pacific Daily News: Simpson: Hard to believe it’s been 40 years since the last racing event